Work and study English in one of the most bohemian places in Australia: the idyllic town of Byron Bay
Just two hours from Brisbane, the small coastal town of Byron Bay with just 7, 000 inhabitants lies by the Pacific Ocean. It’s located in the State of New South Wales and much of this town’s charm is in its bohemian lifestyle.
In Byron Bay, you’ll find an idyllic and relaxing lifestyle where most people know each other and almost everyone gets around bicycle. The conservation of the natural beauty is so important here that in 2007 the State of New South Wales decided to stop the real estate development to preserve the beauty of Byron Bay
There are many bars and cafés in the city centre, some with photos of famous singers like Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin, where you can try very different kind of menus, from organic food to fish dishes and fresh seafood brought from the sea.
What not to miss…
- Visit the Cape Byron Marine Park, from where you’ll see dolphins, sea birds, sharks, marine plants and many more species.
- Take a two hour walk along Cape Byron and take in the spectacular views.
- Watch the stunning waterfalls at Nightcap National Park from Minyon Falls Lookout.
- Relax on the golden sand beaches and crystal water at the popular Main Beach and Wategos Beach.
- Go diving at Julian RockJulian Rocks Marine Park where you’ll see the most amazing aquatic animals.
- Walk around the local street markets and buy fresh products, clothes, crafts and more. The most visited are: Mullum Farmers Market, Bangalow Market or Channon Craft Market with more than 240 stalls.
- Go to the Byron Bay Bluesfest, one of Australia’s most famous festivals where some of the most important artists in the planet perform.
- Taste the exquisite dishes at Sample Food Festival
Byron Bay has a humid subtropical climate with hot and wet summers and mild winters with an average temperature of 19ºC.
Summer can be hot with a daily average of 27ºC making the city a place with a perfect climate throughout the year.
An Interesting Fact
And sticking with the hippie lifestyle of this idyllic, bohemian town, there is a deep rooted tradition amongst the locals: Walk barefoot!
You can do everything without shoes! Do the grocery shopping at the supermarket, walk in the street, go to the bank, go to beach…without doubt, this is a paradise!