Top tips on finding work in Australia


You are starting a new adventure, your bags are almost ready, all your documents are prepared and you have your visa, but in your mind there this something that still worries you.  What will I do when I get there?   How and where will I look for a job? Will it take me a long time to find one?

Don’t despair, the unemployment rate in Australia is only 6% which means it won’t take you a long time to find a job and with our tips , you’ll get off to a great start!

  • First and foremost, it’s important to know that the better your English is, the better opportunities you’ll have to find a job, so start studying in Spain!
  • To work in Australia, you will need the Tax File Number. The application procedure is online and free and you don’t need to worry, once you are in Australia, we’ll show you how to apply for it.
  • Prepare your resume in English.

Your resume is your best cover letter so it will have to be translated into English. Remember that the photo is not mandatory but it must be clear, concise and list all the important information: contact details, studies, professional experience, interests, references …

You can see some resume models in English.

  • If you’re thinking of working as a waiter, you can visit some Spanish and Latinoamerican restaurants where the bosses will surely speak Spanish. You may be asked to provide the RSA – Responsible Service of Alcohol, a requirement for anyone wishing to serve alcohol in a bar, restaurant, casino, beverage store, etc. The RSA course is a short course, which you can even do online.
    Where can I do an RSA course? Your study centre will be able to tell you all you need to know on the different courses availabel and how to sign up
  • Another way to improve your possibilities of finding work in Australia is by doing a barista course.
    Where can I do a barista course? Your study centre will be able to tell you all you need to know on the different courses available, prices and how to sign up

What visa will I need?

The  student visa is the most common among young people, it allows you to work 20 hours a week while you study English, do a vocational training course, university studies.     But there is also the Work and Holiday Visa with which Spanish people between 18 and 30 can already go to Australia with a visa for a year with which they can work 40 hours and not the 20 hours allowed with the student visa.

In Australia, the most important job search organization is Job Services Australia  which offers personalized help to find a job.
But there are also many job search webs through which you can know which are the most demanded professions and send your resume through them.

Here are some links that will be very useful: : It´s the Australian Goverment web for searching a job.
CAREERONE: One of the most important Employment exchange in Australia.
JOBNET:  The largest Employment exchange in Australia dedicated to IT&T.
SEEK: Another of the leading sites in Australia, with thousands of jobs online.

Deja tu mensaje Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos necesarios están marcados*